Community Consultation – Secondary Education Options
I am writing to inform you that the Minister for Education and Training, the Hon Sue Ellery MLC, has announced a community consultation to gather the views of local parents, students and community members on secondary education options in the Clarkson, Kinross and Mindarie area.
The Department’s preferred model for secondary students is to provide them with continuous schooling from Year 7 right through to Year 12 – all delivered in one school environment.
This minimises the transition points in a student’s schooling, creating a more seamless secondary education.
Reducing the number of changes that students experience, by having to move from one secondary school to another, is beneficial for their social, emotional and academic development.
· Clarkson Community High School caters for students from Years 7 to 12.
· Kinross College caters for students from Years 7 to 10.
· Mindarie Senior College caters for students in Years 11 and 12.
You are invited to have your say, through an online survey, where you can select one of the following options:
· Kinross College and Mindarie Senior College each extend to become Years 7 to 12 schools with separate local intake area.
· Clarkson Community High School is repurposed and becomes part of North Metropolitan TAFE, Clarkson campus to focus on training for young people.
The online survey and factsheet will be on the Department of Education website at education.wa.edu.au. The survey opens at 9.00am Friday, 27 November 2020 and closes at 5.00pm Friday, 18 December 2020. If you do not have access to the internet, you are welcome to come in to the school and complete the survey. Please contact us on 94071100 to arrange a suitable time.
Community information sessions will be held for each school community as follows:
- Mindarie Senior College – Tuesday 1 December 2020 from 6.00pm to 7.00pm at Mindarie Senior College sports hall, 14 Elliston Parade, Mindarie. If you wish to attend, please register your interest at [email protected].
- Kinross College – Wednesday 2 December 2020 from 6.00pm to 7.00pm at Kinross College performing arts theatre, Falkland Way, Kinross. If you wish to attend, please register your interest at https://www.trybooking.com/BNCNY.
- Clarkson Community High School – Thursday 3 December 2020 from 6.00pm to 7.00pm at Clarkson Community High School gymnasium, 16 Walyunga Boulevard, Clarkson. If you wish to attend, please register your interest at [email protected].
Physical distancing measures will apply at all community information sessions.
Staff will also be consulted as part of this process.
I encourage you to take part in this important process to help inform any decisions about the future of public secondary schooling in the Clarkson, Kinross and Mindarie area.
Ms Barbara Bromley
26 November 2020